Principal Ecologist (full time, permanent role)
Avian Ecology is looking for a Principal Ecologist to join our team of skilled professionals, in response to our continuing growth, particularly in the renewables sector.
Over the last decade, Avian has earned a reputation for professional excellence and delivering services to the highest standards, on projects of all scales across the UK. Our clients are from both the public and private sectors and our project portfolio is diverse, challenging and interesting.
Avian Ecology provides a professional and progressive environment whilst also providing the benefits associated with a medium sized consultancy. We are committed to attracting and retaining the highest calibre of personnel and provides them with an opportunity to flourish in an environment where excellence and progression is encouraged, supported and rewarded.
We offer a strong remuneration package in a friendly, dynamic and flexible working environment with home working opportunities, and we support and encourage professional development and training.
The successful candidate will be based in our Lower Stretton (near Warrington) office, although some remote / home working will be considered.
As Principal Ecologist you will lead on your own projects and support the existing team. Project work will be varied, but there will be a strong focus on renewable energy schemes as well as other commercial development projects. You will work closely with our clients, providing clear advice and robust documentation to support projects across the UK. Liaison with planning authorities, statutory agencies and stakeholders is a key part of the role. In this role you will also help co-ordinate our team of ecologists and oversee sub-consultants, providing support, technical review and mentoring expertise.
Key requirements are:
- Demonstrable experience in advising clients on the ecological requirements of their projects.
- Adept at developing strong relationships with clients, statutory agencies and stakeholders.
- A strong understanding of relevant and emerging UK wide environmental /ecological policy and legislation.
- Ability to provide clear, succinct and robust technical reports, including Ecological Impact Assessments and Technical Appendices.
- Strong communication skills, including experience of working as part of a wider EIA team.
- Strong experience of field ecology, survey techniques and of carrying out surveys as part of infrastructure design or construction.
- Experience in technical review of the work of others, and in developing a wider ecology team.
You will be a flexible, diligent and pro-active person who is motivated to work either alone or as part of a team to consistently high standards.
At least six years’ consultancy experience is required for this role. Candidates will have a relevant degree and preferably be a CIEEM member, as well as a full clean drivers’ license.
This is a full-time permanent role. Salary will be competitive and dependent on experience.
As with all of our team, the successful candidates will be diligent, passionate, professional and enthusiastic with a flexible approach to working.
If you feel you have the experience and enthusiasm to work as part of our team, please submit your CV with a covering letter outlining your salary expectations to: Rachel.Hughes@avianecology.co.uk.